Teaching Practice

Teaching in primary is not my first choice. I wanted to major in English but the opportunity did not gave me the chance to do so. I hate it at first, I doubted at first, I really struggled at first but then I am a believer of “everything happens for a reason”. Then, one day I found myself enjoying and appreciatin every little things about kids.

 

📌My Final Demonstration

 
This photo was taken in 27th of February 2020, the day of my final demonstration evaluated by Sir Arie, our mentor and Sir Bendika, my cooperating teacher.

Procedure of Teaching

I decided to teach Mathematics for my final teaching, I used our detailed lesson plan from our College of Education and I asked for Sir Bendika, my cooperating teacher for consultation of my lesson plan.

The procedure of teaching I did during my demonstration teaching is narrated below.


  






This is the consultation I made about the lesson I will teach, three days before the day of my demonstration teaching.


Me (photo above), planning and making my lesson plan. I also prepared my visual materials the day before the demonstration. (photos below)




February 27, 2020

Final Demonstration Topic: PICTOGRAM

 

📌I prepared my visual materials ahead of time so that I can save time from pulling out the materials I need.


  

📌Followed by DRILL, wherein I used flashcard. These are photos they will encounter during the lesson.


 

📌 In REVIEW, the class had a group work in which I gave them data they need to organize using tables.



 

📌 I used sport which is commonly experience by pupils in the MOTIVATION part. I asked them question about what sport they like the most which they can relate with.








As they answer this question, I required them to draw the representation of those sport.




📌 I introduced the lesson, Pictogram.


 

📌 For LESSON DEVELOPMENT, I ask them to paste their drawings in the table presented. As I discussed that the table is now called Pictogram. Applying inductive method, I raised questions such as what they observe now in the pictogram and what do they think is the definition of pictogram based on their observations.


Successfully, their answers lead to the definition of the lesson.


  

📌 As the discussion continues, I presented more problem for them to master the lesson.


 

📌 In detailed lesson plan, the last part includes FIXING SKILL, wherein I checked if they can perform what they learned independently.


  

📌 And as what I usually do, we had a game in the APPLICATION part. They really enjoy this part and so do I.



 

📌 For the very last part, EVALUATION. I monitored them one by one as I address all their questions regarding the activity.



        The teaching procedure I applied in my demonstration teaching is also used in my regular class, the only difference is that I plan the lesson using semi-detailed lesson plan.

    The photos below includes my teaching method in other class which is Primary 4A and Primary 2A.

 

 

 



This video includes my pupils from Primary 4B presenting their work about how to protect their ears.


Time Management and Organizing Activities

Time-management is for me a skill a teacher is required to have. Each class has limited time only and I always assure that I taught the most important part of the lesson so that I can truly say that ‘I teach’ because teaching can only exist if learning happens.

I prepare every material I need beforehand so that I can save time and I always check if I prepared them all so that I am fully ready before going to class. Moreover, I prepared activities and games that are not time-consuming but I make sure that these activities are fun.

 

Problem Solving

        As what they say, “you have a big problem if you don’t have a problem”. I also encountered different problems within the classroom. The main problem that draws my concern is the lack of participation by girls in Primary 4B (the reason is the number of boys than girls). I address this with the cooperation of my cooperating teacher. I engaged those girls in more activities wherein I make them leaders when there are group works, I encouraged them to participate in reporting and I always asked them to sit in front when I handle their class. Little by little, I witness how they actively participate in class.

 

Classroom Management

Pelita Nusantara School has general cues of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. They use this during flag ceremony and inside the classroom. I adopted this inside my class and it helps a lot in managing the pupils. Moreover, during discussion if some of them don’t understand the direction I ask one among the class to explain it to the class or if someone ask the question again, I also asked one among the class to repeat it. I take caution in the simple things so that later on they can succeed in great things.

 

In my own ways and from my knowledge, I hope I made an impact to them because they made a great impact on me. Those pupils will always be part of my teaching journey.


Comments