Summary and Suggestion

Terima Kasih!
Thank You!
Maraming Salamat!

Purposes of Practicum

The SEA-Teacher Project or the "Pre-Service Student Teacher Excahnge in Southeast Asia" is a project that aims to provide opportunity for pre-service student teachers from universities in Southeast Asia to have teaching experiences in schools in other countries in Southeast Asia. Specifically, it aims:
To enable the student teachers to develop their teaching skills and pedagogy.
To encourage student teachers to practice their English skills.
To allow the student teachers to gain a broader regional and world view.
To expose future teachers to diverse teaching and learning situations, opportunities and the value of flexibility. 


Procedures of Practicum

I was accepted in the SEA-teacher Project by undergoing some steps under our College of Education. I went through demonstration, interview, and even psychological test. We had several of orientations and meetings with our dean, Sir. Regidor Gaboy to prepare us mentally, socially and physically as we hone our skills in a foreign country.
The program requires 29 days of teaching practicum. Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia, our receiving university also prepared what we need.
I was deployed at Pelita Nusantara School, our cooperating school. The first week is allotted for class observation. In the following week, we begun to handle the class and teach. I handled three classes which are Primary 4B, 4A and 2A. I also taught all the international subjects. In our final week, I had my final demonstration which is truly memorable. 
We also had excursions as part of the program that I enjoyed so much because of the beautiful places thus I spend it with my friends.


Outcomes of Practicum

This program turned me into a better version of myself. The process encourage me to step out of my comfort zone. Because of the program,
  • I experience riding in a plane,
  • I overcome my fear in dogs
  • I watch horror movie in a big screen for the first time
  • I challenge myself to try spicy dishes
  • I had the chance to try hot spring
            I experiences things I never experienced in my life and that was a big thank you to the program. I became more independent and matured. I win over my doubts, fears, and hesitation of thinking that I might not do well. 
The program let me understand more the saying "As a teacher, never say no" because I accepted all the challenges offered to me.
The program gave me the opportunity to share my skills and knowledge to my pupils and it gave me a greater reward of learning real-life lessons from them.


The Challenges of Practicum

One of the major challenge we had to face is the communication with the community. English is a world-wide known language but not all had the chance to learn this language so it gave us struggle communicating with other people especially when we buy food or materials for teaching outside. So we made ways to address this challenge. Since, technology is easy to access- translator became our friend every time we step outside. Our buddies, also helped us a lot. Then little by little, we encourage ourselves to learn some of Bahasa language especially the survival words.
MOreover, language barrier in my teaching also existed. Pelita Nusantara is an international school but sometimes the pupils also has difficulty in understanding the sentences such as directions given. They understand the words individually but when put to sentence, they struggle a bit. So, I made extra effort in choosing the english words I used when talking.


Overall Impression

SEA-Teacher Project was indeed an excellent program because it allows us to transform into a better version of our self. It allows us to grow in different aspects, it gives us the chance to view and understand wider perspectives, it gives us the opportunity to experience the cultures of other country, it enhances our skills and ability as the future teacher of our nation, and it helps us make a difference. 
It was my honor to become part of this program because it gave me the chance to experience priceless things in life.I hope that this legacy continues as the world changes. You will always meet our expectation because you view the world and its culture the way it deserved. May you continue to make a difference.


Suggestion for Future Improvement

May the SEA-Teacher Project make a basic module of the culture and languages (survival language) of the countries for the participants. Nevertheless, I highly encourage all future educators to participate in this program because it will contribute a lot on your teaching journey.

Comments